Friday, April 18, 2008

Thanks Tom

I would first of all like to thank Tom Hanover for driving from Athens in the horrible weather on 03/04/2008 to be with us and guiding us through the process of getting a new pastor. I would like to thank all of those that braved the rain and raising waters to be there also, plus having the patients in the delay of waiting for Tom to arrive safely after trying many directions and routes.
I feel that a couple things occurred last night. The first thing, being that while we were sitting around the table before Tom arrived. I could see and feel that we all know how important it is in our coming together as one. If one of us would die, the others would follow, and if we were never to have tried coming together we would all be just about dead. But I know the Holy Spirit is alive and well in this area. If we will just stay out of His way, He will bring about this change in a very positive way. I am praying that you will all pray for the process that we are now undertaking. Not just those that were there last night, but everybody in these churches and everybody that visits this web site and all that know what we are going through in getting a new pastor.
One of the other things I noticed last night was that we are all willing to work together we just need to get to the table together. Tina and I, as well as whomever takes over for Dan will be working hard to see that that happens. You, as the church PPR’s need to drive this home, when we meet with whomever the Bishop appoints. This way they will know up front what we need, like the constant flow of information communicated between all of us. But also that we are willing to work together and share each others resources, being one body in Christ, in this way there is no misunderstandings before that person takes on these churches. You see whoever is at Stockport/Oakland effects all. It is not just Stockport/Oakland that is getting a new Pastor but also Chesterhill/Pisgah.
Lastly, I heard you all talking and sharing some great ideas and passions. But you would finish the statement by saying that nobody would take on the leadership role for those ideas. God placed those ideas, those passions on your heart, placed them in your brain for a reason. He has placed that passion in you or you would not have been thinking of it to start with. Brothers and sisters we must get out of the way of God’s plan and do his will NOT OUR WILL. If you feel that there should be a VBS and you wonder way someone has not taken that mantle on. It is within your heart it was placed, so way haven’t you followed God’s calling on your life. Oh, I know, you are too busy to do this, right? But God is not going to use you if you are not already doing His work in other areas of the church. Oh, so you have a job, is that it? Well not bragging on myself but, I do also, and yet I rotate in the pulpit with my wife at least every other Sunday, fill in at Stockport and Oakland when needed. I work a full time job at BPD in Parkersburg but I am at meetings, functions, as well as missionary type work around the community. It really doesn't take up much of my time and I still have time for TV, Tiger Woods Golf and my family. Again I am not tooting my horn I am just saying we are all busy. We all have a life, but when God placed the call on my life, when He put that passion in my heart, I knew that I had to answer and do what He has called me to do. I understand that maybe you feel you cannot lead whatever you are called to do alone, then pray about it and let God show you; first He will always be with you; He may even show you who you can ask to help you lead it. Maybe it is something you can do with your spouse or maybe even your whole family. Call a meeting for anyone interested in whatever it may be and then ask if anybody would be interested in helping you run it. You can either ask for the volunteers during the meeting or maybe by noticing the graces and gifts God has given to someone and then asking them one on one to help you lead.
If we are to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ we need to quit ignoring the call He is placing upon our life, Pick up the cross and follow Him. He will not lead you astray or abandon you in the mist of doing His work. Be like Peter; jump out of the boat and onto the crashing waves with both feet with the faith and knowledge that He is there with you every moment.

In Christ God Bless

Gary

No comments: